Diversity and Outreach Efforts Committee
Co-Chairs: Christian Corrales, Mildred Galvez
The committee aims to support current students within the program and to increase recruitment of students who identify and/or belong to groups that are considered underrepresented in both medicine and science. The committee’s current goal is to serve and aid students belonging to the following groups: disadvantaged backgrounds, racial/ethnic minorities, LGBTQ+, and gender minorities.
- Second Look/Revisit Day diversity event
- Diversity-centered talks
- Mentorship opportunities
- Outreach efforts to local high schools, community colleges, and undergraduate institutions
- Specific group events
Co-Chairs: Minsoo Kim, Katherine Sheu
The committee supports several student-organized initiatives to promote the research and educational mission of the MSTP, such as theme-based journal clubs, MSTP Student Guidebooks, and invitation of speaker panels.
- Organize the annual MSTP Research Conference
- Organize the weekly MSTP Tutorial Seminar Series
- Networking events with local biotech leaders and entrepreneurs
Co-Chairs: Vincent Gutierrez, Joey Li, Sean Pianka, Maneesha Thaker
Enhance the learning environment and help launch students on a successful career path, by:
- Facilitating faculty and alumni mentorship for MSTP students, especially for Black students and other groups that are underrepresented in medicine & science.
- Encouraging mentor-mentee relationships among students at different stages of training in the program.
- Building sustainable structures to enhance students’ experience as they move through the program.
- MSTP Big Sib/Little Sib Program
- MS4 Residency/Re-entry Panel
- PhD 2 Research Panel
Co-Chairs: Elisa Fazzari, Nicole Wilkinson
The Social Committee aims to foster community within the UCLA MSTP. In this capacity, we are responsible for organizing MSTP-wide social events including the annual welcome BBQ and the biennial academic retreat. Additionally, we have latitude and funding to implement more informal student initiated social events such as happy hours, journal clubs, and more.
- Happy hours with current students
Student Admissions and Recruitment Committee
Co-Chairs: Adam Alghalith, Sara Blagburn Blanco, Andrew Lu (Caltech), Ryan Shih
Collaborate with MSTP leadership to coordinate admission, recruitment and revisit events showcasing the UCLA-Caltech MSTP community.
Facilitate student involvement in the admissions process to further promote the selection and recruitment of a diverse student body who are passionate about enhancing human health through clinically-impactful research and leadership as physician-scientists.
- Prospective Student – Current Student Coordinator Matching
- Interview Welcome Dinner
- Campus Escorts
- Post-Interview Dinner
- Campus and Housing Tour
- Affinity Group Events
- Social events during Second Look/Revisit
Womxn in MSTP (WiMSTP) Committee
Chair: LeeAnn Li
Co-Vice Chairs: Stephanie Cheung, Shannon Esswein, and Breanna Walsh
To support the women (female-identifying, or womxn, for inclusivity) members in our program, in recognition of the unique considerations and challenges of being a womxn on the physician-scientist track.
To increase broader awareness and dialogue on relevant issues for womxn and allies in equality.
To foster our community within a community of current MSTP students, encompassing also our MSTP alumnae and alumnae of other MD-PhD programs who have since joined UCLA/Caltech.
- Trivia nights, wine nights, Holiday Potluck, virtual get-togethers
- Alumnae Dinners – connecting current trainees with graduates who can share advice and perspective from further down the career path
- Book Club on relevant issues (2020-21: Unfinished Business, by Anne-Marie Slaughter)
MSTP Medical Education Committee (MEC) Representative
As the MSTP MEC representative, I aim to ensure that the interests of MSTP students across all years are fairly represented and accounted for in the DGSOM curriculum.
Ensure that MSTP students have flexibility to transition between their MD and PhD within the new curriculum, advocate for MSTP interests during MEC meetings, facilitate resources and faculty support as PhD students transition back to the last part of their clinical training.
MSTP Medical Student Council (MSC) Representative
The MSC strives to positively influence student life through advocacy, policy, open communication, and leadership. The elected MSTP MSC representative serves the unified interests of MSTP students for DGSOM.
Council members are involved in organizing orientation, Med Games, Ethics Symposium, All School Formal, Talent Show, and other events to improve the wellbeing of the DGSOM community.